Top 5 Diamond Mining and Selling Companies in the World
Considered as a gemstone signifying luxury and romance, diamonds have never been out of fashion. Be it an engagement ring or a celebratory brooch, men often choose diamonds to woo their loved ones. Thanks to this everlasting popularity and demand, diamond dealer s are always in business. Let us take a look at the top 5 diamond companies in the world that caters to this business.
Top 5 Diamond Companies of the World
- Dominion Diamond Corporation (DDC): Located in Canada, most of their diamonds are from the Lac De Gras’ Diavik mine in Canada and the Ekati mine. It was found in 1994 almost during the same period the Diavik mine was discovered. Known for their mining practice, this company produced nearly 2 million carats of diamonds from both its mine in one quarter of 2013.
- Debswana Diamond Company Ltd: Located in Botswana, they own the major four mines in the country namely Jwaneng, Letlhakane, Damtshaa and Orapa. Thanks to their diamond business they have managed to transform their country to a richer place by contributing to nearly 50% of the revenues of the country. Co-owned by Debeers and the government and it controls all the mining operations in the country. The last update was that the company produced 20 million carats in the year 2012 alone.
- Rio Tinto Diamonds: The group Rio Tinto is not just involved in mining diamonds but also involved in other minerals and is British-Australian joint venture. They own the oldest Argyle mine in Australia which has pink diamonds, a rarity in diamonds. It also owns part of the Diavik mine in Canada with DDC and 78% of the Murowa mine in Zimbabwe.
- ALROSA: They own the Verkhne-Munskoye mine and are clearly a good challenge to the legendary DeBeers. Located in Siberia, they also have nine major and ten alluvial mines producing diamonds in Russia. They are also owners of 32% of the Catoca diamond mine located in Angola. They contribute 94% of the diamond production in Russia making it the second largest diamond producing country in the world.
- De Beers: There is nothing to beat this century old diamond making institution. Theirs is the name that comes to your mind when you think of diamonds. They operate out of 15 mines in 4 different countries and continue to be on top of the list of diamond companies with more than $6 billion in revenues. They are involved in sales of both rough diamonds and polished diamond jewelry.